Just spent the last two days at the Mother Earth News Fair surrounded by like-minded people… okay, some not-so-like-minded people. You know the types, the ones that answer their cell phones right in the middle of the presentation and carry on a conversation… boy, do they get my goat (needed an excuse for a goat picture ;0}) I was there to listen to the presenter, not their cell phone conversation!
Isn’t she a sweetie? [Instagram]
I was there seeking that information that catapults you from unsure to I can do this! I went from workshop to workshop, hoping that this one would be the one. I gathered some tidbits here and there… but for the most part, I didn’t learn anything new. In a few situations, I felt like I knew more than the presenter… SO, have I already hit the I can do this! point and am simply procrastinating putting it all into practice? Am I allowing myself to be herded along with the other sheep … not wanting to stand out in the crowd? (wait for it, wait for it! I just needed another excuse for an animal picture ;0})
good thing I don’t have a farm, cause she would have come home with me!! [Instagram]
So now what?!
What do I do with the tidbits I did collect? Do they just get added to the ever-growing to-do-list? How? How do I use this new information to catapult myself to that next level? Well, I know the answer! I need to apply it!! I need to stop taking notes (not to be confused with documenting or data collecting) and start doing! I need to start scratching some things off my to-do-list!! Will you help me… remind me, if I post my list here?
- create a seasonal calendar/journal when and how to harvest wild foods/herbs - photo journal?
- create a bio-time journal – daily weather and temp / what is in bloom and stages of vegetation - add images
- learn one herb at a time and spend 1 year with it – learn its seasons - don’t think I’ll be able to limit myself on this one ;0}… too much urgency here!
- add more medicinal plants to hedgerow - keep bee foraging in mind
- create two more herb beds
- harvest medicinal plant material
- make medicines and use them - create a document that lists the medicine and its uses
- dial-in my food-producing plant guilds - document it with images
aquaponicsjust can’t add one more thing right now
- plan and plant for year-round vegetable harvest - decide how to extend growing season (plastic, old windows, grow lights)
- increase diversity and variety of plants (even within a species)
- plant existing plants (believe me, there are a lot!)
- get the garden beds weeded and planted
- share my knowledge and experience – teach a class (that one is scary!!)
I think that is enough for now ;0}